Jun 17, 2019

Painting a Beast 09 Conversion

Recently I had the pleasure of painting a converted Khador Beast 09. I decided upon a color scheme of white, red and gray. Let's see how we did...


 Chassis first. I think the white really gives Beast a nice clean look. Sure, it follows the PP studio model but I wanted to see how closely I could come to replicating that look.


Next for the red highlights, I used Skorne base red to cover the metallic silver primer, then generously dry brushed over it with Khador base red to make it pop.


Next I painted the shoulder pad armor and gauntlets. The Iron Hull Grey not only gives the impression of cold metal, it serves to highlight for the silvery chainmail color spikes.

For helm, leg armor, collar and exhaust (not pictured, thank you very much GooglePhotos), I went with Rhulic Gold, or as lay people refer to it: bronze. This adds to the old school steampunk theme, almost giving the impression of both medieval armor and WWII era tank exhaust ports. For boiler, I thought Pig Iron would be best, especially after I applied the ink for shadow.

I added some bronze to the axe, which by the way....



 ...I opted to give a specific highlight. Borrowing the technique I used in a Juggernaut model I finished some time ago, I bronzed over the main central metallic part with Rhulic Gold. I then covered the whole blade with Cygnar blue highlight, which was then dry brushed heavily over with Frostbite. I then dabbed bits of Frostbite over the holes to give the impression they were glowing.
 Before inking the model for depth and shadow, I painted the base with Umbral Umber for the dirt, Quicksilver for the barbed wire and Bootstrap Leather with Rucksack Tan for the wooden spikes.



 I went a little heavy on the ink using Agrax Earthshade. That is, heavy everywhere except for the white. I only inked the white chassis parts along major crevasses, then dry brushed white over those so they looked more consistent.
 Afterwards I used a matte spray to seal the model. This makes its colors look duller but somehow more convincing.
 Never missing any details, I then used a gloss varnish on Beast's eyes and, more notably, on his axe blade. With the eyes and axe glowing they're impossible to miss amid the drab features of the rest of the model.
 Last but by least, I painted the base black. If I had done so beforehand, the black would have grayed from the matte sealant.


Beauty and the Beast....09.

(Sorry folks, couldn't resist.)