May 31, 2019

Number Of The Beast (it's nine)

Some years back, my old comrade-in-arms The Hungry Kithkar (THK) built me a Beast 09 conversion out of spare parts. Being a frequent Sorscha player, it was a perfect addition to my Khador army, particularly since at the time I was dead broke and didn't feel like spending $40 on the blister box.


I had painted miniatures made by THK for me in the past, but I was waiting until my painting skills were up to snuff to get started on this project. At long last, I'm ready to give a project like this the attention it deserves. Here goes...

 Let's start with the model itself:




 As you can see, it is a fairly close facsimile of the Privateer Press model. THK did a real fantastic job of constructing it, using different cut out pieces of plasticard and bits from Warhammer and Warmachine. Those of you familiar with the PP studio model will notice how THK got nearly every detail, right down to the spikes in the fists and medals on Beast's chassis. What I like the most is he included the wooden spikes at the model's base, which players will recognize from the artwork in the Khador faction army book.

 After I used some green stuff to fill in gaps in the plasticard (not pictured) the next step was priming the model:



 I decided upon a silver metallic primer, as this would take care of the harder to reach inner parts that are largely mechanical and would have to be painted that color anyway.

  After that I had to decide which color scheme I wanted to use. Unoriginal though it may seem, I decided to go with a similar motif to the PP studio model. White chassis, red shoulder and waist plates, and gray/chainmail gauntlets and  armor with bronze on the exhaust, axe and helm. For Beast's modified weapon, the  deliciously psychotic-looking Ice Breaker, I decided I'd take a cue from a Juggernaut model a painted a while back. More on that later.

First things first, the chassis....