Sep 25, 2017

Points on Painting

"My father worked in profanity the way other artists might 
work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master."

Before I get into some of the more in-depth posts I intend to write about the painting of The Ravening Kriels, I wanted to give a Public Service Announcement regarding the equipment that I have been using as the painting half of this project along with my esteemed colleague. The work has been ongoing for a few years already, and pictured is the latest iteration of my painting equipment. However, the quality of my kit has been going up piece by piece as I learn new techniques, read more articles, and track down better loot from better dungeons.


The tools I intend to blame for my poor craftsmanship

First and foremost is the brand of paint that I use, which is all Games Workshop. My paint set was cobbled together originally from what paints I was still holding onto after a... middling quality... foray into Warhammer 40k a number of years ago, what I managed to buy from a dying hobby store in preparation for weekend of getting snowed in, culminating in when I finally learned enough good sense to buy my paint online direct from Games Workshop. I've found the paints work extremely well for my purposes, as they ought for the pricetag, but the places where the GW paints have really shined in my opinion are in the washes and the narrow application of their technical paints.


The finest stroking instruments I own


When it comes to brushes, the ones I use the most are at the bottom of the above picture. These would be the Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable Watercolor Brushes Sizes 0, 00, and 000. From what I've been led to believe, these are the brushes that GW will also buy in bulk and relabel as their own proprietary brushes, but can be bought on Amazon here. 

On top of that, my terrain is made from fairly generic materials. Woodland Scenics Medium Green Static Grass Flock and a 2 ounce bottle of Bob Smith Industries Maxi-Cure Extra Thick. Everything else has just been made from trial, error, more error, and liberal applications of Agrax Earthshade.